Thursday, March 12, 2015

An Open Letter to Theatre Audiences

Dear audiences,

It's been many years since I attended weekly Mass. It's been a long time since a 'place of worship' held any personal sense of truth, belief, or higher power.

That being said, I treat my time in a theatre as the, for a lack of better word, 'holiest' part of my day. Sure, I wear work boots, jeans, and hoodies, but the time spent sitting & experiencing a show delivers me to that higher place. The respect & adoration for the people on that stage, below that stage, & behind that stage radiates out no matter what I'm wearing.

So if you're talking. During a performance. Or an overture. Or an entr'acte. I will ask you to stop. If you deem it necessary to argue back or retort, I will ask you again. There is in no possible way you're in the right, so I will not back down or be kind about it.

If you were sitting around me when I couldn't take any more chatting during FIRST WIVES CLUB last night, I apologize for nothing. We pay money to respectfully appreciate everyone's hard work on & around that stage. We work hard so everyone sitting in our audiences gets their time & money's worth.

It's our holy place, so for the love of everything sacred - shut it.

Stepping off a soapbox after preaching to the choir,
William

No comments: