Monday, September 16, 2013

An Open Letter, re: Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias"

An open letter to the AMC network, Melissa Bernstein, Michael Bowen, Betsy Brandt, Bryan Cranston, Vince Gilligan, Anna Gunn, RJ Mitte, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Jesse Plemmons, Dave Porter, Thomas Schnauz, and episode writer Moira Walley-Beckett and director Rian Johnson.

There are many other hard-working people involved whom I did not list. For that I truly apologize.


Dearest writers, actors, producers, and all artistic staff of Breaking Bad's "Ozymandias" episode,

Sunday, September 15, 2013's airing of "Ozymandias" (episode 514) has upset me on a level far beyond character, franchise, or viewer loyalty.

In the best and most thrilling way possible, it has upset me as an artist.

As someone who strives to create work which will leave a lasting impression on those who encounter it long beyond his lifetime, last night's episode makes me scared, furious, and, most importantly, inspired.

Upon writing these thoughts down, my fear realizes it will take YEARS before I create something so wholly well-written, well-directed, well-acted, well-dressed, well-cast, well-shot, well-scored, and thoroughly all-encompassing as "Ozymandias" was.

As it is.

So - as upset as I am, I must thank you 82,000,000 times more. Thank you for never dumbing down. Thank you for rewarding your audience for paying attention. Thank you for your expression. Thank you for resetting the bar for what 'artistic perfection' looks like.

Emotions aside, who knows how I'll feel over the next two weeks as Breaking Bad comes to its end. Notwithstanding, this cannot be denied: you've given us a new goal. Thank you.

In awe,
William Panek
Chicago, IL


No comments: