Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Not Too Thrilled about Spirit Airlines' Ad

"Generally speaking, you should always make your wife your priority. Our heart goes out to all those women who have not been number #1 in their husband's life!"


Not too thrilled with Spirit Airlines' ad which just popped into my in-box. I'm not usually one to blow whistles, but the male-female centric campaign really doesn't do it for me. It unfortunately puts both parties into submission to ensure men are consistently "pleasing" their women with purchases and gifts ... as if to say woman are in contact need of materialist pleasure and/or men are in a constant state of needing redemption. It's a little, quick, seemingly meaningless add, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way.

I could give Spirit the benefit of the doubt and surrender its military fatigu'd boarder (and the ad's verbiage in general: "salute," "four stars") as a play on this past weekend's Veterans Day, but I really don't think that's what they were going for. But I could be wrong.

And I'm not even going to get into female/female marriages/relationships and male/male marriages/relationships ... or maybe I should. Tossing out the phrase homophobic might be a biased overkill, but gender roles are definitely being generally blanketed and abused here.

No comments: