Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Rahm Emanuel is Chicago's Mayor-Elect

I was 4 years old when Richard M. Daley took office.

Since 1989, Richard M. Daley was the mayor of Chicago. The mayor of the city I've live in (short of my 4 years in college) my entire life. The city's longest sitting mayor. A mayor who, despite all the political snobbery, did amazing things in the cleaning up and beautifying of our city. A wonderfully supportive friend to the GLBT community. A strong supporter of the arts and theatre scene in Chicago. A man whose hand I shook once.

He's the only mayor I've ever really known in the city I'd live and die for.
I effing love Chicago.


I am 26 tonight.
Not 30 minutes ago, President Obama's former Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel was elected mayor.
A man I believe in and a man for which I voted.
I am hopeful.

No comments: