Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rumormill: The Three Stooges

MGM and the Farrelly brothers are finally slapping together their high-profile cast for "The Three Stooges," a comedy project the filmmakers have been developing for years. Sean Penn is set to play Larry, and Jim Carrey is in negotiations to play Curly. Benicio del Toro is a rumored possibility for the brothers' taciturn leader, Moe.

Yes it's an early announcement & yes it's only from Yahoo! News, but this pleases me not. Penn will be interesting as the doltish lover & del Toro, if signed, will be interesting as the leader, but Carry as Curly? I do not approve. Plus it's the Farrelly Brothers. This has "interesting" (read: annoying) written all over it.
The film is not a biopic but a fictional treatment that maintains the Stooges' gleeful slap schtick updated for a modern milieu. Originally constructed as four separate shorts, the feature screenplay has since been streamlined into a single narrative. Included in the story line is an opening that shows the Stooges as kids in an orphanage, a device that will require some Benjamin Button-style visual trickery to place the adult actors' heads on child actors' bodies.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Why don't we just rape the Three Stooges? I mean, why not? Let's rape 'em good. And then after we've sodomized them for a few hours, we'll flatten their bodies out into strips and put them in a film canister and then project them onto a large screen. OH WAIT: that's exactly what this movie is.

This is the worst idea anyone has ever had.

Ever.

::so furious::

(You have to understand: I grew up on the Stooges. This is like perverting a piece of my childhood.)

William said...

Oh, I completely understand. The Stooges were my brother & my first foray into what "comedy" was. More than perverting my childhood, it's damn near raping. Jim Carry (blech!) aside, I just don't trust the Farrelly Brothers.