Saturday, December 29, 2007

Continuing Obsession

At 4AM CST last evening, I finished Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City.
I cried.
A lot.
Not as much as Six Feet Under's finale, but cried nonetheless.

What a fantastic & utterly enthralling book. Larson painstakingly researched an amazingly vivid time period, backdropped by an amazingly important event, juxtaposed by a horrifically intriguingly psychopath.

If you ever ever stumble upon any pictures on-line, send me links. I you ever eye cheap books written on it at a garage sale or small book store, BUY THEM & I will hit you up. If you ever invent or come across a time machine, I call firsties. I want any & all information I can get my White City lovin' hands on.

I literally cannot get enough of the 1893 World's Fair. Really. It's to the point where I'm in the mindset to hop on the next cross-country train & actually visit the sparkling white grounds. I think about how easy it would be to save up my pennies & attend the Exposition with, say, another nerd friend. With the assistance of Extra's theme stinger & Fergie's latest chart topper, 21st century reality smacks me in the mouth & I realize this isn't 1891 & I don't live in Kansas with nerds.

I think there's a problem brewing: I'm up far too late Googling images & getting excited over an event I'll never attend.

No comments: